Nature of Profession
The medical transcriptionist is trained to work as a transcriptionist in a variety of health care settings.
Related Job Titles
Some job titles in the field include medical receptionist and medical records clerk.
The program is designed to be completed in two semesters when taken on a full-time basis. Some students may choose to pursue the certificate on a part-time basis (within four semesters). Students should complete the program within the specified timeframe. Admission to the Allied Health Program requires written acceptance by the Allied Health Program Director according to the admission requirements listed on the Allied Health Program application packet. Students may elect to complete some or all of the general education course requirements prior to being admitted into the Allied Health Program. Continuation in the Allied Health Program requires a minimum grade of "B" in MAST/ALTH courses with a minimum cumulative and most current completed quarter grade point average of 2.4 to participate in the practicum experience.
- 1. Apply for Admission to Southern State.
- 2. Thoroughly read and complete the Medical Assisting Application (*The 2016 Medical Assisting/Allied Health Program Application will be available online after January 2016. Thank you for your patience while we update the application process. If you have further questions, please contact Rhonda Davis)
Enrollment in Allied Health courses is limited. Applicants are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis after the above criteria are met.
The following items must be submitted for an application to be considered "complete". Please compile the required documentation in the order below and paper clip the contents.
- 1. Medical Assisting Application (*The 2016 Medical Assisting/Allied Health Program Application will be available online after January 2016. Thank you for your patience while we update the application process. If you have further questions, please contact Rhonda Davis)
- 2. Program Agreement Form
- 3. Copy of high school transcript verifying graduation or copy of GED certificate
- 4. Southern State course history listing (must be printed from MyRecords [select Academics > My Grades > Undergraduate (under "Division") > All Terms This Division])
- 5. Transcripts from any accredited institution (recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation) previously attended
- Coursework must be evaluated by the Southern State Director of Admissions and posted to Southern State transcript to be counted towards prerequisites
Current knowledge of prerequisites is expected. Refer to the college Catalog for any additional requirements.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. On your request, when hand delivering your application to the Medical Assisting/Allied Health Office, the content of your application packet will be reviewed to identify that required documentation is included.
Note: A felony or misdemeanor may disqualify a candidate from being certified by the State of Ohio (as outlined in Section 4761.04 of the Ohio Revised Code).
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|MAST 1115||Medical Terminology||2|
|MATH 1117||Elementary Algebra||3|
|MAST 2212||Medical Transcription||3|
|BIOL 1104||Human Biology I||4|
|ENGL 1101||English Composition I||3|
|OFIT 1106||Keyboarding Techniques I||3|
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|MAST 1118||Human Diseases||2|
|MAST 2230||Pharmacology I||2|
|ALTH 2250||Advanced Medical Terminology & Transcriptions||2|
|ALTH 2260||Medical Transcription Capstone||2|
|MAST 2205||Medical Law & Ethics||2|
|BIOL 1105||Human Biology II||4|
|ENGL 1102||English Composition II||3|