Nature of Profession
The Medical Transcriptionist is trained to work as a transcriptionist in a variety of health care settings.
Related Job Titles
Some job titles in the field include medical receptionist and medical records clerk.
The program is designed to be completed in two semesters when taken on a full-time basis. Some students may choose to pursue the certificate on a part-time basis (within four semesters). Students should complete the program within the specified timeframe. Admission to the Medical Transcriptionist Program requires written acceptance by the Allied Health Program Director according to the admission requirements listed on the Medical Transcription Program application packet. Students may elect to complete some or all of the general education course requirements prior to being admitted into the Medical Transcriptionist Program. Continuation in the Medical Transcription Program requires a minimum grade of "B" in MAST/ALTH courses, a minimum grade of “C” in all other required courses and a minimum cumulative and most current completed term grade point average of 2.4 to participate in the practicum experience. There is a time limit on completion of program requirements. Algebra and biology courses should have been completed within the past five years or repeating the courses is required.
- 1. Apply for Admission to Southern State.
- 2. Thoroughly read and complete the Medical Transcription Application
Enrollment in Allied Health courses is limited. Applicants are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis after the above criteria are met.
Application Accepted: February 1 until available seats are filled
The following items must be submitted for an application to be considered "complete". Please compile the required documentation in the order below and paper clip the contents.
- 1. Medical Transcription Application and the Student Responsibilities Agreement
- 2. Eligibility for Clinical Placement
- 3. Copy of high school transcript verifying graduation or copy of GED certificate. Coursework must be evaluated by the Southern State Director of Admissions and posted to Southern State transcript to be counted towards prerequisites.
- 4. AND one of the following:
- (A) printed copy of your Southern State Course History listing, including previously received transcript information, verifying minimum GPA of 2.0, and completion of ENGL 0097 or 0099 and MATH 1116 with a final grade of “C” or higher within the last 5 years (review pre-requisite options for ENGL 1101 and MATH 1135). Log into MyRecords, click on "Student", then "My Course Information", select "Unofficial Transcript", scroll to bottom of transcript, click on "Unofficial Transcript PDF" and print (this is the only printout that will be accepted) OR
- (B) SSCC ACCUPLACER Assessment scores indicating readiness for ENGL 1101, MATH 1135 and a minimum Work Keys Assessment Level Silver OR
- (C) TEAS Assessment Level Basic
Incomplete applications will not be considered. You must schedule an appointment with the Medical Assisting Office to personally deliver your completed program application or review option for e-submission. On your request, when hand delivering your application to the Medical Assisting Office, the content of your application packet will be reviewed to identify that required documentation is included.
Note: A felony or misdemeanor may disqualify a candidate from being certified by the State of Ohio (as outlined in Section 4761.04 of the Ohio Revised Code).
Core Education and Open Enrollment MAST/ALTH courses may be completed prior to entry into the program or during the appropriate semester of the medical assisting program.
Current knowledge of prerequisites is expected. Refer to the college Catalog for any additional requirements of the below courses.
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|ALTH 1160||Electronic Health Records||2|
|BIOL 2205||Anatomy & Physiology I||4|
|CSCI 1101||Computer Keyboarding||1|
|ENGL 1101||English Composition I||3|
|MAST 1115||Medical Terminology||2|
|MAST 2212||Medical Transcription||3|
|MATH 1116||Beginning Algebra||3|
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|ALTH 1130||Pharmacology for Allied Health||2|
|ALTH 2250||Advanced Medical Terminology & Transcription||2|
|ALTH 2260||Medical Transcription Capstone||2|
|BIOL 2206||Anatomy & Physiology II||4|
|ENGL 1102||English Composition II||3|
|MAST 1118||Human Diseases||2|
|MAST 2205||Medical Law & Ethics||2|
Program Total: 35 plus any pre-requisites
Allied Health Office & Faculty
The Allied Health Office is located in room 182 on Central Campus and operates Monday through Thursday from 9:00am to 3:00pm.
- 800.628.7722 x2739
- Medical Assisting/Allied Health Office
- Southern State Community College
- 100 Hobart Drive
- Hillsboro, OH 45133