The Career & Counseling Services department coordinates career development and employment services for Southern State. We offer students and alumni assistance in clarifying career goals, exploring educational options and acquiring job search skills. We also assist employers with various objectives including recruitment.
Office Hours & Locations
- Central Campus
- Student Services Office
- 8:00am – 12:00pm (Monday)
- 8:00am – 5:00pm (Wednesday & Friday)
- Fayette Campus
- Faculty Offices – Room 103
- 8:00am – 5:00pm (Tuesday)
- North Campus
- Room 316A
- 8:00am – 5:00pm (Thursday)
- South Campus Office
- Director’s Office
- 1:00pm – 5:00pm (Monday)
Flexible times available upon request. Counseling hours available via appointment. Contact any Campus Location to schedule your appointment.
How We Can Help
From the beginning of your college experience, through graduation and beyond, Career & Counseling Services is here to help you follow your bliss! We are here to help you learn about yourself, careers and occupations and to plan your education accordingly with your desired career path. We also provide job search assistance, resume and cover letter writing techniques, interview preparation, coaching and debriefing, networking and tips and how-to’s.
We are also here to help you when life becomes overwhelming. Personal counseling is free and confidential to actively enrolled students and their family members for problems such as stress, grief and loss, adjustment to life change, job loss and other concerns. We also offer the Ohio Benefits Bank Services.
According to a poll conducted on Right Management, the following responses were yielded for the statement "Sometimes I feel trapped in my current job and want to find a new position elsewhere":
- Strongly agree — 79%
- Somewhat agree — 7%
- Somewhat disagree — 7%
- Disagree — 7%
- I am responsible at this moment, not for past failures, but for my current choices and my current direction and I can change.
- -Robert Wubbolding, Ed. D.
- Reality Therapy for the 21st Century
Southern State provides one-on-one counseling services to its students and family members. These services are completely free, are available at all campuses and include:
- Counseling for adjustment to life changes
- Couples counseling
- Family therapy
- Individual therapy
- Job loss
- Life transitions
- Stress management skills training
- Time management skills training
Contact Tom Payton to schedule an appointment.
Pass It On Quote of the Week
- I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
- – Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941)
- Poet, Playwright, Essayist
Videos of the Month
The Power of Introverts
How to Make Stress your Friend
The Space Between Self-Esteem and Self Compassion
Mental Health Resources
Explore your Career Quality World through these resources:
- Holland Self-Directed Search
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator
- Values Inventory
- Strongs Interest Inventory
- and many more
Contact Tom Payton to get started!
There are a few things you should know before attending a job fair. Use this guide to better prepare:
Local job openings will be posted here as they become available so check back often! Click on the position title for a complete job description.
|Maintenance Technicians||Mars Petcare||Washington Courthouse, OH||09.20.14|
|Regional Employer Representative||Mature Services Org.||Hillsboro, OH||09.20.14|
|Materials Scheduler||Weastec, Inc.||Hillsboro, OH||09.20.14|
|Production Supervisor||Georgia Pacific||Circleville, OH||09.20.14|
|Front Desk Support||Ohio Presbyterian Retirement Services||Wilmington, OH||09.11.14|
|LPN||The Little Clinic||Lebanon, OH||09.11.14|
|Nursing Assistant||HCR ManorCare||Chillicothe, OH||09.11.14|
|Phlebotomist and Customer Service||American Red Cross||Chillicothe, OH||09.11.14|
|Library Manager||Southern State Community College||Mt. Orab, OH||09.08.14|
|Accounts Payable Clerk/Bookkeeper||Rent2Own||Bainbridge, OH||09.08.14|
|Office Associate||Ohio State University Extension||West Union, OH||09.06.14|
|Maintenance Technician||Georgia Pacific||West Chester, OH||09.06.14|
|Manager Trainee||Aaron’s||Hillsboro, OH||09.06.14|
|Assistant General Manager||Max & Erma's||Wilmington, OH||09.06.14|
Additional Opportunities & Resources
Find assistance and get advice on various topics of job search through these resources.
AARP – Career Tips for Over 50s
Chamber of Commerce – Local Service Area
- Chamber of Commerce – Adams County
- Chamber of Commerce – Brown County
- Chamber of Commerce – Fayette County
- Chamber of Commerce – Highland County
- Chamber of Commerce – Wilmington Clinton County
Job Search – Interview Materials & Aids (Printable Handouts)
Job Search – Job Hunting & Planning (Printable Handouts)
Job Search – Networking Materials & Aids (Printable Handouts)
- Creating a Network List
- Elevator Speech
- Networking and Contact Tips
- Networking Lists – Health Tech – Potential Employment Contacts – Adams Co
- Networking Lists – Health Tech – Potential Employment Contacts – Fayette Co
- Networking Lists – Health Tech – Potential Employment Contacts – Ross Co
Job Search – Resumes & Cover Letters (Printable Handouts)
Job Search Sites
- Advance for Health Care Jobs
- Ag Careers
- Career Builder
- Careers In Food
- College Grad Job Hunter
- Crimical Justice Profiles – Career Guide
- Deep Sweep – Non-profit Jobs
- Environmental Career Center
- Environmental Jobs
- Green Engineering Jobs
- Higher Ed Jobs
- IM Diversity – Minority Career Needs
- Ohio Means Jobs
- Pharmacy Tech Jobs & Practice Exam
- American Association of Medical Transcriptionists
- American Association of Medical Assistants
- American Association of Respiratory Care
- American Counseling Association
- American Mathematical Society
- Association for Computing Machinery – Jobs, Career, Salaries
- Association of Addicition Professionals
- Association of Finance Professionals – Jobs, Career, Salaries
- Association of Professional Landscape Designers
- Chamber of Commerce (KY)
- Chamber of Commerce (OH)
- Chamber of Commerce (US)
- National Career Development Association
- Ohio Center for Nursing
- Ohio Manufacturer’s Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
Video – Coping with Job Search Stressors
Video – Interviews
- Interview Example – "Tell me about yourself."
- Part 1 – The Interview Strategy – What is an employer looking for?
- Part 2 – How to Answer Interview Questions
- Part 3 – Interview Preparation – Five Essential Steps
- Part 5 – Questions YOU Should Ask
Video – Job Search
- Building Contacts for Networking
- Follow Up in Networking
- Making Contacts with Employers
- Networking: Who do you see first?
- Networking: Asking for a Meeting
- Networking: Defining Who You Are and Other Important Steps
- Networking: Five Major Reasons Networking Works!
- Rebranding – AKA Changing Careers in the Job Market
Video – Job Search & Social Networks
- Co-Op America’s National Green Pages (Resources on Green Companies)
- Cost of Living Wizard
- Hoover’s On Line – Business Almanac
- Job-Hunt (Resources, Jobs, Helpful Articles)
- Quintessential Careers
- Riley Guide to Employment
- Salary Checker
- Troops to Teachers – Former Military
- US News & World Rpt Vault – An Insider’s Guide to Employers
- Wall Street Journal – Careers
- What Color is Your Parachute
Career development does not end when you start the job but is a lifelong process. As a service free of charge, Career & Counseling Services can help current students and alumni learn about:
- resumes as a career development summary and tool;
- adding value to your job and tracking results;
- career check-ups (Where am I and is my current work experience helping or hurting me in taking me where I want to go?);
- dealing with on the job stress through hardiness and the "3 C’s"; and
- career coaching (learning communication, supervisory and management techniques).
If you’re a local employer, Southern State wants to CONNECT with you! We offer various associate and certificate programs in areas ranging from pre-baccalaureate, nursing, business and technology as well as many training opportunities. We also provide job posting opportunities, annual job fairs, on-site interviews and recruiting, employerer assistance to meet your needs interfacing with Workforce Development and access to a resume database of local applicants through Career Services Online.
Use the position posting request form to post a job opening on the Job Board online and on each of Southern State’s campuses. You can submit the form electronically, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 937.393.6682.
Recruiting & Other Services
To participate in the annual spring Southern State Job Fair, post an upcoming job fair, interview and recruit on campus, request a speaker regarding career/professional development or for any other assistance, please contact Tom Payton.