Information for Students

UPDATED August 16, 2022

We are doing everything possible to keep services and instruction uninterrupted and keep your learning on track, but we know you have questions. The information below will hopefully answer those questions.

Is there still COVID-19 government funding available to help me pay for tuition and other expenses?

SSCC was awarded HEERF III/ARP in 2021 to assist students with tuition and emergency needs. The funding has been exhausted. We do recommend that students complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at to determine if they would be eligible for grant and/or loan assistance for tuition and other expenses.

Students may also access community resources to assist with expenses. Check out these guides for local assistance:

Adams County Resources:

Brown County Resource Guide:

Clinton County Resource Guide:

Highland County Resource Guide:

What are the Campus Operational Hours?

The Central Campus in Hillsboro is open 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The Brown County Campus in Mt. Orab is open 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Thursday and during select Patriot Fridays during the Fall semester. Patriot Fridays will be on September 16, October 21, November 18, and December 16.

If it is more convenient for you, please continue to seek any assistance that you need through email when possible. If you don't know who to contact, please call the main college phone number, (937) 393-3431, or view the staff directory.

What if I'm sick or have been exposed to COVID-19?

All COVID-19 illnesses and exposures are to be reported by completing one of the forms on the Reporting Questionnaires webpage. Any additional questions and concerns related to COVID-19 that are not covered by the questionnaire should be directed to the COVID-19 Coordinator, Susan Morris, by phone (937) 509-7828 or email

Use the Student Process Map for Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 Cases and COVID-19 Exposures to assist with determining the process to resolve transmission threats to our SSCC community.

For more information on symptom monitoring, testing, and guidelines for suspected cases, exposure, and close contact visit the Response Procedure webpage.

Basic Quarantine and Isolation,

  • People with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days and if they are asymptomatic or their symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter.
  • People who are exposed to COVID19, instead of quarantining if you were exposed to COVID-19, you wear a high-quality mask for 10 days and get tested on day 5. If you test positive then follow the isolation guideline for People with COVID-19.

There are some specifics that are outlined in the following document from ODH.

What to do if you have COVID 19 reguarless of symptoms or vaccination status.

Impact on Student Clinical Activities

At Southern State Community College, the health, safety and well-being of our students, faculty, staff and their families is of the utmost importance. If you are registered for an onsite course, you will be expected to follow specific guidelines established by the College and its clinical partner contracts. Please review the Impact on Student Clinical Activities guidelines and keep them in mind as you prepare for clinical activities.

STUDENT Request for Facial Covering Exemption

If required by your program or a course instructor, this form is used to initiate a request for an exemption from wearing a facial covering at the college due to a health condition. Please complete the Request for Facial Covering Exemption Form. Once submitted, you may be contacted for additional information. Please note that an exemption based on the submission of this form is considered temporary in the case that the request requires medical documentation to support a permanent exemption. Medical information obtained during this process will require your consent in accordance with the Health Insurance and Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPPA, and is confidential and only notification of approved accommodation will be shared with persons needing to know.

Healthy CONNECT Pledge

SSCC's goal is to connect you to a healthy future by overcoming fear and nurturing good lifestyle choices needed to eliminate COVID-19 transmission. As a SSCC student, staff or community member, we ask you to take care of yourself and your community and pledge your compliance to the expectations outlined in the pledge. Take the SSCC Healthy CONNECT Pledge!

Travel During COVID-19

Travelers should still practice appropriate public health measures to slow the spread of COVID-19, such as wearing masks, practicing physical distancing, and washing your hands.

Wear a Mask. Stay 6 feet apart. Avoid Crowds. Get a Vaccine.

CDC recommends delaying travel until you are fully vaccinated, because travel increases your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19. If you are not fully vaccinated and must travel, follow CDC's recommendations for unvaccinated people traveling internationally or domestically. For all travel, take preventive measures to protect yourself and others, such as wearing a mask for the duration of your trip. As a result of a court order, effective immediately and as of April 18, 2022, CDC's January 29, 2021 Order requiring masks on public transportation conveyances and at transportation hubs is no longer in effect. Therefore, CDC will not enforce the Order. CDC continues to recommend that people wear masks in indoor public transportation settings at this time.

Here's Updated CDC guidance related to domestic travel during the COVID-19 pandemic includes recommendations and requirements based on vaccination status.

CDC Travel Resources

For domestic and international travelers, the complete CDC travel recommendations can be found here. Topics will assist you whether you are planning domestic or international travel with: safer travel ideas; requirements and health notices; when it's a "no go" or those that are prohibited from entry into the US; what to do after travel; cruise ship travel; and communication resources and FAQs. Check Travel Planner for state, local, tribal, and territorial government restrictions before traveling.

Be prepared! Getting trip cancellation insurance might help ensure you are able to make a last-minute cancellation or change your itinerary without losing money on flights, cruises, train tickets, or pre-paid lodgings.

How do I report my absence?

Contact your instructor as outlined in your syllabus.

Are Student Services such as Admissions, Financial Aid, Advising, Tutoring, and Registration available?

These services can be accessed by telephone, email, Zoom (virtual meeting), or in-person from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. Appointments can be requested by telephone or email.

  Name Email Phone
Disabilities Barb Fleming ext 2620
Tutoring Stephanie McKinney
Registration Fran Roberts ext 2613
Financial Aid Dana Berryman ext 2515
Admissions Lauri Bolitho ext 2607
Advising Misi Griffith ext 2825
Counseling Peggy Chalker ext 2880
Business Office Jeanna Morgan ext 2652
How will this impact College Credit Plus (CCP)?
How can I make a payment?

Payments may be made as follows:

  • How to make a payment using the web.
    Go to: > My Records> Login> Account Information> My Balances By Semester> Make a Payment
  • How to make a payment using the automated Pay By Phone line:
    You will need to know your student ID number and the amount you want to pay.
    Call 1-800-628-7722.
    Press # to Make a Payment and follow the prompts.
  • Address to Mail a payment:
    Southern State Community College
    PO Box 880
    Hillsboro, Ohio 45133
  • How to make a payment in-person.
    Payments can be made at the Business Office, located in Hillsboro at the Central Campus, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. After hours payments can be made at Drop Box located outside the Student Services window at the Central Campus.
Are there any implications to my financial aid because of COVID-19?

As long as you remain in your course, your financial aid should be uninterrupted. However, the financial aid department has established virtual solutions to continue meeting your needs and answering your questions. Emails are easiest for our team to address, but if you would like to call, you are welcome to do so. Financial Aid Questions: or call 937-393-3431 ext. 2515

Can I still register for Classes?

Registration for the 2023 Spring Semester is now open! Registration for the 2023 Summer Semester begins on February 13th. As a current student, you are able to register online through the MySSCC/MyRecords portal when the appropriate registration period opens. The Advising Center Staff are working in-person and remotely, and are ready to assist you through your registration planning and process. In-person appointments will follow the campus operational hours listed above. Contact the Advising Center at 800.628.7722 ext. 2825 or

Are you still accepting admissions applications at this time?

Absolutely, and invite your friends to complete one too! Complete yours today by visiting

Will placement testing still be offered?

If you are needing to take the placement assessment please complete the Placement Assessments Form and we will contact you via email or phone to schedule testing. To schedule an appointment with an Academic/Career Advisor to register for an upcoming semester please email or contact the Advising Center at 937-393-3431, ext. 2825.

How can I get my high school or college transcript delivered to the Admission's Office?

High school transcripts can be delivered in-person to the Admission's Office from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. High school transcripts can also be sent via email or mail. Whatever is easiest for you, here's our contact information. Email transcripts to or mail to Attn: Admissions Office, 100 Hobart Dr., Hillsboro, OH 45133.

Official College transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the SSCC Records office. Mail to Attn: Records office, 100 Hobart Dr., Hillsboro, OH 45133. In-person delivery of college transcripts won't be accepted unless they are in a sealed envelope from the college.

If you have any questions about admissions or the status of your application please contact Lauri Bolitho, Admissions Assistant, at 937-393-3431, ext. 2607 or email

What if I don't have internet access or a laptop?

We are offering a limited number of free wireless hotspot devices and/or laptops to students who do not have Internet access or a laptop at home. Reserve yours today by visiting the Wireless Hotspots & Laptops at Home webpage.