This year will be unlike any other at Southern State Community College. The global pandemic will challenge us as individuals and test our community.
It's clear the COVID-19 virus will be with us for the foreseeable future. We will likely see positive cases at SSCC campuses and in our local communities. We must act to both preserve and promote the health of our community. We each play a role in keeping ourselves and each other safe from the spread of COVID-19.
The college's ability to keep our campuses open and operating in person depends on all of us. If we act only in our own self-interest, SSCC may have to close the campuses and resume fully remote operations. We must commit to the wellbeing of others. This commitment must remain intact on-campus and off-campus. We must rise up to meet this challenge to stay healthy, together.
The goal of SSCC is to connect you to a healthy future by overcoming fear and nurturing good lifestyle choices needed to eliminate COVID-19 transmission. As a SSCC student and community member, we ask you to take care of yourself and your community and pledge your compliance to the following expectations.
Understanding the Risks
I know that by engaging in campus activities and attending classes I may be exposed to COVID-19 and other infections. I also understand that despite the efforts of Southern State Community College to reduce the risks of COVID-19, I can still contract COVID-19 and/or other infections that can cause serious illness and even death. I will make efforts to stay informed of SSCC COVID-19 https://www.sscc.edu/coronavirus-covid-19-information.shtml related communications, as the college may modify guidelines and expectations as new information becomes available.
I understand the risks of returning to campus and understand that I may be exposed to COVID-19. I pledge to take responsibility for my own health and help prevent the spread of COVID-19 on campus and in the community.
In order to reduce my risk and the risk to others, I pledge to engage in prevention, conduct daily symptom monitoring and, if indicated, participate in testing, contact tracing, quarantine and isolation procedures, outlined as follows:
Engage in Prevention
I will engage in recommended preventative measures to protect myself and others in the reduction of risk for COVID-19 transmission:
- Wear a face covering in all indoor spaces on campus (except when eating) and outdoors when physical distancing is not possible*
- *There may be an approved exception regarding the wearing of face covering. Students who cannot wear a face covering due to medical or disability-related reasons should contact Student Disability Services - Molly Clevenger email@example.com or (937) 393-3431 ext. 2604.
- Practice physical distancing (>6 feet apart)
- Practice frequent handwashing and hand sanitization
- Clean up after myself in common areas and classrooms (cleaning products will be available throughout common spaces and classrooms)
- Comply with COVID-19 campus signage (directional, capacity, etc.)
- Limit personal indoor gatherings to fewer than ten people and engage in physical distancing
- Not host or attend gatherings/parties where physical distancing is not possible
- Students should consult with their health care provider and get a flu shot, if medically advisable
Conduct Daily Symptom Monitoring
I will conduct daily symptom monitoring for the following symptoms and I WILL NOT COME to CAMPUS for classes or activities and SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION if I am feeling ill:
- Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
- Fever of 100.4 or higher
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Body aches/muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- Nausea or vomiting
- Go to https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/checklists/english-checklists/When-You-Are-Sick for a list of up-to-date symptoms.
Participate in Testing, Contact Tracing, Quarantine and Isolation Procedures
I will contact my health care provider if I experience any symptoms above and follow their instructions, including testing for COVID-19, and cooperate in the processes performed and recommended by the Ohio Department of Health.
- Fill out the College COVID-19 reporting form if diagnosed with COVID-19 or if placed in quarantine through the health department's contact tracing process.
- Isolate myself at my home or place of residence if I TEST POSITIVE for COVID-19 or HAVE BEEN TESTED by receiving a presumptive diagnosis from a physician.
- Report any known or potential exposure to COVID-19 to my healthcare provider.
- Participate in contact tracing if requested by the Ohio Department of Health and their local county health commissioners.
- Temporarily quarantine myself at my place of residence at the advisement of the health department or after known close contact (within 6 feet, greater than 15 minutes, without a face covering) with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, and remain in quarantine until released by my physician or advised by the health department.
As a Southern State Community College Student, I understand this Pledge is a commitment to be honored as I attend on-campus activities, including face-to-face instruction. I acknowledge that if I engage in repeated, non-compliant behaviors to this Pledge, I may be referred to the Office of Student Services for violations in the student code of conduct and disciplinary action up to and including suspension or dismissal.
I have read, understood, and agree to comply with this Pledge.
Stay Healthy, Stay CONNECTed