Why the Truck Driving Academy?
We offer a comprehensive, hands-on truck driver training program that exceeds Ohio requirements for obtaining your CDL (Commercial Driver’s License).
Our CDL training program takes 160 hours. This means that you can earn a Class A CDL or Class B CDL license in four weeks or eight weekends.
Our approach means that most of your driving instruction time is spent in the truck; either on our closed course or on the road. Classes are small so you will be guaranteed the "behind-the-wheel" time that you need to begin your professional trucking career. And individual instruction means that you get quick answers and valuable driving experience.
The cost of our entire program is $4800. This includes instruction, licensing, and all endorsements. There are no hidden or additional costs.
- classes beginning once a month;
- 160 hours: four weeks or eight weekends to obtain your CDL license;
- hands-on truck driver training;
- maximum behind-the-wheel driving time for each student;
- financial assistance if qualified;
- free lifetime job placement;
- free refresher training if needed; and
- twelve Ohio locations.
After completing the program, you have the potential to earn $40,000 to $50,000 in your first year!
The Truck Driving Academy starts driving classes once a month. Please Contact us for official dates or other info. Our CDL school offers accelerated training that encompasses the wide variety of vehicle and truck and trailer combinations on the road today. Your program will be divided between classroom and hands-on driver training, covering everything from paperwork to backing, turning, and shifting on our closed course to complex maneuvers through city streets, but we’ll take it all one step at a time, always making sure that you’re ready before you progress to the next level.
The course will begin with learning essential driving skills, regulations, safety, and basic mechanical systems. You’ll move into the truck for realistic exercises on a closed course, and as you gain confidence, you’ll drive on low-traffic roadways and city streets with tractor-trailer combinations. You will advance to road driving, combining your classroom instruction with driving skills, refining your knowledge, and practice on controlled courses designed to help increase your confidence on the open road.
During the last week of training, you will fine-tune your driving, routing, and paperwork skills, learn advanced shifting techniques, as well as how to handle your rig under differing road conditions. You will be able to complete runs on congested city throughways, handle common roadside mechanical repairs, and shift like the professional you have grown to be.
You will then be ready for a thorough review and practice test before taking the actual Commercial Driver’s License exam. If you don’t already have a job offer, you will now be ready for the Job Placement phase of your training.
We will be with you every step of the way! You will find that the difference in truck driving schools is the level of care and individual instruction each student receives. We sincerely want you to be equipped to reach your full potential and have a successful, well-paid career in truck driving!
Through Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, students will be able to earn the following semester credits toward an associate degree program:
- Truck Transport — 7 credit hours
- Truck, Passenger Bus Transport — 8 credit hours
- Truck, Passenger & School Bus Transport — 9 credit hours
We have a fleet of vehicles including tractors, buses and numerous trailers you will train on. Our equipment is up-to-date and meets or exceeds all industry standards. We offer a variety of engines, transmissions and trailers. All of our equipment is clean, well-maintained and roadworthy.
When you walk out the door of the Truck Driving Academy with your CDL, you will be prepared to drive any commercial vehicle—from commercial buses to tractors pulling double trailers!
Every student is offered free job placement assistance after graduation. Recruiters from major carriers visit the Truck Driving Academy on a regular basis to interview prospective drivers. As you will see when you visit their sites, some positions offer tuition reimbursement, which means free training!
We partner with many respected companies to provide employment for graduates as well as driving solutions for transportation providers.
Visit these sites to see some of the career prospects that exist right now:
- Best Trucking
- Every Truck Job
- Find a Trucking Job
- JB Hunt
- Just Trucking Jobs
- R.E. West
- Schneider National
- Star Transport
- Swift Transportation
- TMC Transportation
- Trucking Truth
- Werner Enterprises
Please note that many companies prefer that you begin as a "Co-Driver" to gain company training and driving experience within their operations. After a very short time, they will transition you into your own position as you become more knowledgeable. These positions are a great way to begin your truck driving career, gain confidence and experience, and get paid along the way!
To qualify for employment as a professional over-the-road driver, you must be 21 years of age and hold a valid Commercial Driver’s License. You must pass a DOT physical exam and an alcohol and controlled substance test.
For intrastate Ohio, applicants may qualify at 18 years of age. To enroll in the program, you must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license. The Truck Driving Academy will reimburse the costs of acquiring an Ohio driver’s license for qualified out-of-state students.
The cost for either the weekday or weekend programs is $4800. This will cover the entire cost of the program (instruction, materials, truck driving time, and practice tests) as well as state-required testing and licensing fees and DOT-required physical and drug screen. HAZMAT Endorsement is included in the program cost as well.
Sources of Financial Aid
The Truck Driving Academy accepts payments for educational expenses through loans, agency funding, or third party sources. Agency and third party funding is based on Federal and State funding and is subject to availability.
We are a recognized training provider for the Ohio Workforce Investment Act (WIA), the U.S. Veterans Administration, the Trade Adjustment Act, and many others.
You may also find that some employers offer tuition reimbursement. Many of our graduates receive employment offers before they graduate, and some of these positions offer reimbursement. Be sure to ask your potential employer about any free training that may be available!
Contact us to find out what you may qualify for!
You can attend at any of our locations in Ohio. In addition to our original driver training facility in Clinton county, we also offer training in Athens, Hamilton, Meigs, Perry, Pike, Ross and Warren Counties.
1 College Way,
Pickaway-Ross Career & Technology Center, 895 Crouse Chapel Road, Chillicothe, OHView Map
10100 Reading Road,
Warren County Career Center, 3525 North State Route 48, Lebanon, OH
9364 SR 45,
1 North Main Street,
Tri County Adult Career Center, 15676 State Route 691, Nelsonville, OHView Map
New Lexington Campus
5454 State Route 37, New Lexington, OHView Map
4235 US 23 S.,
42377 Charles Chancey Drive, Pomeroy, OHView Map
Rio Grande Campus
218 N. College Avenue,
Rio Grande, OH
South Point Campus
216 Collins Avenue,
South Point, OH
Southern Hills Career and Technical Center
9193 Hamer Road,
110 John Scott Highway, Steubenville, OHView Map
3321 Airborne Road,
101 E. Federal Street, Youngstown, Ohio
- I was highly impressed by the program at the Truck Driving Academy. The instructors were both knowledgeable and experienced and did not hesitate to answer questions or clarify the smallest of details. The volume of information and training received during the program was impressive and will no doubt pay dividends for our department in the future. I recommend the Academy for any department manager looking for high level training in this discipline.
- Darren LeBrun, PE, PS
- Scioto County Sanitary Engineer
- My husband went to the Southern State Truck Driving Academy and when I got downsized, I decided to go on his recommendation. It was a great school experience. The instructors were very helpful. Any time you had a question, there was no waiting. You got immediate help and individual attention. I passed my CDL the first time, and now I will be team driving with my husband! I would recommend it to anyone considering entering the field. I even recommended it to the people in line while I was waiting to get my CDL.
- Kathy Klinglesmith
- Driver for U.S. Express
- I am a Southern State alumni, and I also have a Bachelor’s degree, but I was having a difficult time getting a truck. The Truck Driving Academy program offered the chance for me to work with professionals in this industry and obtain the credentials I needed. My time at the TDA was awesome! It was a fun atmosphere, the teachers are there to help you when you need it, both in class and on the road. Now I have not just one, but two jobs (one full-time and one part-time) in the trucking industry. I would highly recommend the TDA to anyone considering it. The door is always open for you there.
- Cierra Walker
- Independent Truck Operator
- I was downsized from ABX after 27 years. I had years of safety experience, but while I was researching how to update my skills, I found that HAZMAT training required a Class A CDL license and decided to go to Southern State’s Truck Driving Academy. I had a great experience with the training program as a whole, in particular, the instructor was attentive, thorough and personable. I found that if you listen to the instructor and follow directions, you can pass your CDL exam the first time. Right now I have one job offer with another one on the table. The TDA gives you what you need to get started in this business. I plan on taking that knowledge and succeeding!
- Tony Frye
- Driver for Schneider National
Here are some interesting and helpful sites for truckers:
- Average Daily Fuel Prices By State
- Every Truck Job
- Hot CDL Jobs
- Job-Applications.com – Trucking Jobs
- Local Weather & Warnings from NOAA
- National Traffic & Road Closure Info
- Owner-Operator Independent Drivers
- Truck Driver Salary
- Truck Miles
- The Trucker
- TruckersEdge Load Board
- The Truckin’ Bozo
- Trucking Jobs w/Driver Recruiting
- Trucking Truth
- Trucking Unlimited
- Weigh Station & Rest Area Locator
- Women In Trucking
Please complete and submit this form and we will get back with you as soon as we can!