Financial Aid FAQs

Hopefully these frequently asked questions will help you find the information you need! If you have additional questions, please contact

How do I apply for financial aid?

Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at To complete the FAFSA you will need to create a Federal Student Aid ID. You may create this at FAFSA for each school year is open on October 1st for the next school year. Southern State's school code for FAFSA is 012870.

What happens after I apply for financial aid?

FAFSA application results are sent directly to the College. Southern State sends you a packet of information in the mail regarding your eligibility for financial aid.

What types of financial aid are available to me by completing the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is an application that determines the following types of financial aid:

  • Pell Grants /SEOG grant - free money from the federal government based on need.
  • College Work-Study - employment at the College is based also on need from the FAFSA. If hired in a position students receive a paycheck from the College. Money is not applied directly to your tuition charges at the school.
  • Student Loans - money that is borrowed and must be repaid beginning six months after graduation or ceasing half-time enrollment. New student borrowers are required to attend a student loan session on campus.
How many credit hours do I have to take to receive financial aid?

Initial financial award offers are based on twelve semester hours (full-time). Students under twelve semester hours are considered part-time students. Financial Aid awards are pro-rated accordingly based on the hours enrolled and attending.

  • 9-11 hours – ¾ time
  • 6-8 hours – ½ time
  • 1-5 hours – ¼ time

You may qualify for a Pell grant depending on your eligibility for as few as 1 semester hour. You must take at least 6 semester hours to qualify for a student loan.

How often do I have to complete the FAFSA?

You need to apply for financial aid every year. The school year at Southern State begins with fall semester, and includes spring and summer semester.

How can I apply for scholarships?

Students may apply for Southern State scholarships at January - March to receive priority consideration. There are also other scholarships and links at

Can I charge my textbooks to my financial aid?

Students who have more financial aid than their tuition are allowed to charge books to their pending financial aid at the College Bookstore. To charge books to financial aid you will need to present your class schedule and photo ID. Books may also be ordered online at To charge books on-line requires your Southern State student ID. Bookstores are located on the Central Campus in Hillsboro and the Brown County campus in Mt. Orab.

When do I receive my financial aid?
  • After verification that students are enrolled and attending classes, the semester hours attended are locked and financial aid is based on those hours. This occurs after the two-week drop/add period.
  • Financial aid is received at the College the fifth week of the semester. If students are first-time borrowers the loan funds cannot be disbursed until the students attend the first 30 days of the semester. Then the refund, if applicable is mailed to the student's address on file at the College. If after all financial aid is disbursed and you have a balance remaining for student tuition/fees the College will mail you a bill that must be paid prior to registering for the next period of enrollment.
How do I receive my financial aid?
  • The financial aid is sent to the college if the student file is complete and attendance is verified. (All required paperwork received by the Financial Aid Office).
  • The College keeps the money that is owed for tuition and or books. If students have more financial aid than the direct expenses a refund check is sent to the student's home by mail.
  • The federal financial aid programs will only fund classes that are required for the students major.
What grades do I need to get to keep my financial aid?

As a freshmen with 0-30 semester hours attempted you must maintain a 1.75 overall grade point average. If you are a sophomore you have attempted more than 30 semester hours and the minimum grade point average requirement is 2.0. View the Academic Warning & Probation Policy.

What happens if I stop going to class?
  • You must attend all registered classes to be eligible for financial aid.
  • If classes are dropped prior to the end of the drop/add period charges will also be dropped.
  • Classes dropped after the drop/add period are considered a withdrawal. Students are charged for the class, financial aid pays for the class however at the end of the term it is included in the measurement for progress.
  • Never just stop attending. Contact the Student Services office or your advisor to complete an official withdrawal. Officially withdrawing does not affect your grade point average. Stopping out without withdrawing could result in a failing grade.
What is progress?
  • To meet the progress requirement, a student must complete 67% of the hours attempted (courses enrolled after drop/add). The following is a breakdown of the 67% based on the number of hours enrolled:
  • Hours Attempted Hours required to complete
    1 1
    2 1
    3 2
    4 3
    5 3
    6 4
    7 5
    8 5
    9 6
    10 7
    11 7
    12 8
    13 9
    14 9
    15 10
    16 11
    17 11
    18 12
    19 13
    20 13
    21 14
    22 15
    23 15
    24 16
    25 17
  • At the end of each semester students are measured for both GPA and progress. Students who do not meet both standards are placed on academic warning for their next semester of enrollment. While on the warning semester, students can continue to receive federal aid. If students are successful at the completion of the warning semester they are placed in good standing.
  • Students who are not successful at the end of the warning semester are placed on academic probation and federal financial aid is revoked.
  • Students on academic probation may appeal their probation. Appeals may be submitted to the Financial Aid Office. If granted an appeal students are then placed on an academic plan which allows provisional semester(s) based on an Academic Plan developed by the Advising Center.
  • Students who completely withdraw prior to completing at least sixty percent of the term will be subject to returning funds to the federal government which may create a balance due to Southern State. Return of Title IV Policy
How much time do I have to complete my program?
  • Students are allowed 150% of the time frame allowed for a two-year degree to complete a program. Maximum Time Frame Policy
    • Example: Program requires 60 semester hours (60 X 150% = 90) 90 hours is the maximum allowed.
  • Course withdrawals, repeats and incomplete grades are also included in this 150% calculation.
  • Pell Grants have a lifetime limit of 12 semesters. This would be six years as a full-time student to obtain a degree. Consider this in long term planning especially in consideration of a four-year degree.
  • Subsidized student loans (interest free until payments begin) also have a time limit of 150% of time allowed for degree.
What if I lost my job, my parents' income has changed or have other special circumstances?

The Southern State Financial Aid Office can take into account special circumstances that may affect your need and eligibility for federal student aid. These may include loss of income due to layoff, disability, divorce, separation or loss of untaxed benefits. You can contact our office at 937.393.3431 ext 2515 or to request a Special Circumstance Appeal form.

NOTE: Not all requests for change of circumstance result in a change to your financial aid.