The Continuous Improvement Team exists to improve processes, handle difficult issues and projects, create a culture of continuous improvement, and help the college take bold steps. This cross-functional team uses methods and tools obtained through Certified training to define, measure, analyze, improve and control processes and projects.
The mission of the Southern State Continuous Improvement Team is to lead by example and show that continuous improvement can help the college better fulfill its vision; to help create a culture of continuous improvement among all employees; and helping SSCC be more efficient, dynamic, and ultimately, the best investment for students, employees, and the community.
The expectations of the CI Team are to:
- Strive for continuous improvement in all we do;
- Be results oriented and back up all decisions with sound data and reasoning;
- Align all projects and improvements with the college's vision; and
- Create a culture of continuous improvement.
Fulfilling our mission and meeting our expectations require the engagement and active participation from all members of the college community. You are vital to our success in helping the college fulfill its vision.
The CI team uses the DMAIC method when working on a project. DMAIC stands for:
- Define: Define the problem
- Measure: Measure the problem
- Analyze: Analyze the causes
- Improve: Implement solutions
- Control: Maintain the gains
Once the team has chosen a project, we spend an average of 3 to 6 months taking the project through this method and meet twice monthly. As part of the DMAIC method, we use specific tools to help us at each step. Some of the tools used include:
- A charter to describe what you are trying to do (what process will we improve, who will be on the improvement team, what customers are saying about the process)
- A process map or flow chart to show how the process works (number of process steps, where the steps happen, how long everything takes)
- A run chart or time order plot to show trends in the process over a period of time
- A histogram to show the variation in a process
- A cause & effect diagram to show why it works that way
These tools help us to measure and analyze the problem and give us a better understanding of what the problem actually is. Once that is completed we can then create solutions that with your help we can implement. If you have any questions about our process, please feel free to contact any of the team members.
- Katy Markey
- Information Systems & Telecommunications Manager
- 800.628.7722 x2854
Are you interesting in helping improve the college, giving our students a better experience, and helping all departments be more efficient? If so, we would love to have your help and there are many ways you can do it!
Submit a Project!
If you know of a process or problem that needs evaluated let us know! We cannot promise to make it through every submitted project, but all submitted ideas and requests will be evaluated by our CI Team. Once evaluated, we will decide which projects may need to be held off to a later date, which ones to distribute to Department CI Teams, and which project the CI Team will undertake. To submit a project, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
Join a Department CI Team!
Our CI Team members are each in charge of a Department CI Team. They are always looking for people interested in doing their part to help their Department become more efficient. If you are interested in joining one of these teams, please contact one of the members at their information above.
Would you like to be trained in problem solving and ultimately help our CI Team? The University of Dayton Center for Leadership offers both Team Member Yellow Belt and Team Leader Green Belt training. If you are interested in attending these trainings, please contact Kate Honeycutt at 937.393.3431 x2565.
Spread the Word!
This initiative is new so we could use all the help we can get to get the word out! Tell people what our team is about and how we can help. If you know of someone, or a department, that would like to learn more about us, contact any of the team members listed above.
Please use the following form to request the CI Teams help on a project or to present a continuous improvement idea.