At Southern State we take your safety seriously and our campuses will close if there is an emergency situation.
- Sign up for SSCC Alerts if you would like to receive alerts of campus emergencies, closures or delays, and class cancellations via email, text or voice message.
- Call Southern State at 937.393.3431 or 800.628.7722. A recorded message will provide details on delays and closings, as soon as a decision has been made.
- Check the sscc.edu website homepage.
- View the SSCC Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Listen to local Radio/TV Stations (listed below)
The following is the plan for closing campuses during inclement weather:
- If one campus is closed all day, all campuses will be closed.
- If one campus has a delayed opening, all campuses will have a delayed opening.
Clarification of Delay
If classes are on a two-hour delay, any class starting at 8am is cancelled. A class starting before 10am, that would have 50% or more class time remaining after 10am, will meet for the remainder of the class period. Example: a 9:30am class which ends at 11am would begin meeting at 10am since more than 50% of the class period would be available.
Delays may later be changed to closings. Therefore, check for updates to the initial announcement before leaving home.
If, after the start of classes, the weather becomes inclement during the day and the health and safety of the students and staff will be affected, the Vice President of Business and Finance and campus directors have the authority to dismiss classes for the rest of the day on his/her campus only. The Vice President of Business and Finance or director will immediately send an SSCC Alert to notify all other campus locations and will contact all radio/TV stations in the service area so that students who take classes on more than one campus have the correct information. It often takes some time between the telephone calls to the radio/TV stations and the time a student may hear or see it on radio/TV. Tune to alternative stations or call the college for a recorded message.
Students and campus personnel may listen to the local radio and TV stations (listed below), however the most direct method of receiving alerts would be via SSCC Alerts. Students who have not updated their SSCC Alerts preferences are advised to listen to or watch more than one station since the announcement is at the discretion of the station. Several of the TV and radio stations keep a list of delays and closings on their websites.
- Faculty may, at their discretion, schedule a makeup class(es) or add extra assignments so that the course requirements will not be affected by the cancellation of the class(es).
- When final exams are cancelled due to inclement weather, the instructor will notify students of a rescheduled exam date.
- Note: In the event there is any doubt whether Southern State is open or closed, and the weather is inclement in a particular location, individuals should use good judgment to ensure their health and safety.