Congratulations! All your hard work has paid off!!
Friday, May 7, 2021 between 5:00pm and 7:00pm
Graduates should arrive between 5:00pm and 7:00pm in the Central Campus parking lot.
100 Hobart Drive, Hillsboro, OH 45133
2021 and 2020 graduates are invited to attend.
Students will be directed through the Cruise-In Commencement. We are allowing only one vehicle per graduate. You are encouraged to wear your cap and gown. Please consider decorating your caps and your vehicles!
How to Apply
To qualify for graduation, you must:
- Have completed the requirements of one of the designated degree programs with a minimum of 60 semester hours of credit together with a minimum GPA of 2.0 ("C") at Southern State (see program outlines for specific requirements);
- Have earned at least 20 semester hours of credit at Southern State if receiving an associate degree or 18 semester hours of credit at Southern State if receiving a one-year certificate;
- Have submitted an Application for a Diploma to the Records Office one month prior to the start of the semester in which you expect to graduate, and;
- Any financial obligations owed to the College must be paid in full before a diploma will be released. If you are unsure if you owe money, contact Student Accounts at 800.628.7722, x2652.
- All students who have applied for graduation will receive an RSVP Letter by mail and email approximately 4 weeks before the ceremony. The RSVP Form must be returned if you plan to participate in the ceremony.
- Wearing your cap and gown during the Cruise-In Commencement is encouraged, but optional. If you missed the ordering deadline, please contact email@example.com to inquire about borrowing regalia from our limited supply, donated by previous graduates.
- Order your graduation regalia (cap, gown, tassel) in advance of your ceremony from the Bookstore. Graduation regalia must be ordered by 4:00pm March 5, 2021 and will be available for pickup from the Bookstore location they were ordered from during the last two weeks of April.
- To place your order, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, height, weight and a working phone number.
- PTK stoles, tassels and/or cords may be ordered by PTK members on the PTK website.
- Americana honor cords are awarded in appreciation to our veterans and services members who participate in the commencement ceremony. Honor cords can be picked up at the commencement sign-in by showing your military ID or DD 214 Form.
- Academic honor cords are awarded to recognize the academic excellence of our graduates who participate in the commencement ceremony. Academic honor cords will be provided to the eligible graduates at the commencement sign-in.
Prepare for Graduation Day
Our Cruise-In Commencement Celebration is a first! We are thankful you will be joining us. Find out what to expect from when to arrive to how to proceed and safely enjoy the parade.
- Graduates should email a photo (preferably in cap and gown, but can be creative) by Fri., May 7, 2021 to our Director of Marketing, Elizabeth Burkard at email@example.com. A post-graduation video will be posted to our website including the ceremony, Cruise-in Commencement Celebration, and slides honoring each graduate.
- On Friday, May 7, graduates should arrive between 5:00pm and 7:00pm. There is no predetermined order. You will be directed to the check-in table, where you will receive your name card, honor cord (eligibility based upon accumulative GPA at the end of Fall semester) and/or Americana cord.
- There is no formal rehearsal for the ceremony, although a detailed explanation of the Cruise-In Celebration can be found on the Graduation Day Procedure Flyer.
Students who successfully complete all degree requirements during Spring Semester and have no balance due to the institution can pick up their official diploma at the Central Campus Records Office from July 1st - 31st with photo ID. Diplomas that are not picked up by July 31st will be mailed to the student address on file.
- Commencement is intended to be a festive occasion celebrating the accomplishments of our students, however, it is also ceremonial. Wearing your cap and gown is optional, but encouraged. Please consider decorating your caps and your vehicles!
- We are allowing only one vehicle per graduate. Graduates are encouraged to sit in the front-passenger side of the vehicle.
- Family and Guests: Share the details with your family and friends who will join you in your vehicle or will be tuning in to listen on the radio at home or work. Tune in to 98.1 FM radio station.
Thank you for helping us make your graduation a memorable one for all.
Celebrate your Graduation!
- Faculty and staff will be cheering for you and your accomplishment during the parade.
- Police will provide assistance to expedite the exiting of traffic.
- Congratulations! And, remember, "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
A post-graduation video will be posted to our website including the ceremony, Cruise-in Commencement Celebration, and slides honoring each graduate.
We continue to offer services to our alumni including career search and development. Check out Career Services for more information!
We hope you'll keep in touch with us through Facebook!
Each year the college attempts to obtain information about our graduates after graduation to determine how well we did our job. The results from the survey are used to help us improve the educational experience for future students. Our ability to obtain your feedback is also vital to our continued accreditation. These surveys are by invitation only and verified by student identification numbers.