The Counseling Services department coordinates career development for Southern State. We offer students and alumni assistance in clarifying career goals, exploring educational options and acquiring job search skills.
Flexible times available upon request. Counseling hours available via appointment. Contact any Campus Location to schedule your appointment.
How We Can Help
We are here to help you when life becomes overwhelming. Personal counseling is free and confidential to actively enrolled students and their family members for problems such as stress, grief and loss, adjustment to life change, job loss and other concerns. We also offer the Ohio Benefits Bank Services.
- "I am responsible at this moment, not for past failures, but for my current choices and my current direction and I can change."
- -Robert Wubbolding, Ed. D.
- Reality Therapy for the 21st Century
Southern State provides one-on-one counseling services to its students and family members. These services are completely free, are available at all campuses and include:
- Counseling for adjustment to life changes
- Couples counseling
- Family therapy
- Individual therapy
- Job loss
- Life transitions
- Stress management skills training
- Time management skills training
Contact Tom Payton to schedule an appointment.
Mental Health Resources
- To view all the available resources for Suicide Prevention offered by Southern State visit the Suicide Prevention webpage.
- Crisis Text Line is free, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Text 741741 from anywhere in the USA to text with a trained Crisis Counselor. For more information view the Crisis Text Line Fact Sheet.
- Reliable substance abuse information and support. Tailored to you. Our goal is to offer people who are dealing with substance use issues a single source of relatable, reliable information at any stage of their recovery journey.
- This article from NPR tells the story of Jack O'Connor and his struggle with Heroin Addiction, and describes the effects of these drugs on the brain.
- Autism is an umbrella term to describe a range of neurodevelopmental disorders that can affect 1 in 68 children, as estimated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- FRS Counseling is a treatment facility in Hillsboro, Ohio which specializes in mental health and substance abuse services. They provide outpatient options for those who enroll. It has programs catering to particular demographics, such as adolescents and DUI / DWI offenders. Payment is accepted at this facility through self-payment, Medicaid, and private health insurance.
- Working aged men (25-54 years old) account for the largest number of suicide deaths in U.S. These men are also the least likely to receive any kind of support. They don't talk about it with their friends. They don't share with their family. And they sure as heck don't seek professional treatment. They are the victims of problematic thinking that says mental health disorders are unmanly signs of weakness.
- Teens and young adults who suffer from mental illness can feel hopeless and alone. Many don’t know what’s wrong with them but feel like it’s their fault. The goal of OK2TALK is to create a community for teens and young adults struggling with mental health problems and encourage them to talk about what they’re experiencing by sharing their personal stories of recovery, tragedy, struggle or hope. This site contains resources for talking about mental health concerns and personal problems along with helpful information.
- The presentation 'Rape Culture & Rape Myth' was presented at SSCC by Chanda Valentine. This presentation covers sexual assault, consent, bystanders, rape myths, and rape culture.
- The mission of the Center is to provide leadership and services in a community-wide effort to foster positive, optimal mental health and to assist the community to find ways to prevent, reduce and minimize the residual effects of mental health problems.
- Shawnee Mental Health Center, Inc. is a private, non-profit comprehensive community mental health center that has been serving the residents of Adams, Lawrence and Scioto Counties in Ohio since 1973. Services in the other two counties were provided out of small, leased offices until the early 1980s when the Adams County Commissioners and the Lawrence County Commissioners received grants from the National Institute of Health to build two office buildings (one in West Union, Ohio in 1980, and one in Coal Grove, Ohio in 1981) to house our clinics. In 2003 we opened a second clinic in Coal Grove. We serve over 5,000 people each year.
- Solutions promotes wellness in mind, body and spirit through the provision of effective, affordable mental health and alcohol/drug services that promote recovery, overall health and a sense of belonging. Solutions has three locations in Wilmington, Ohio.
- Learn the traits of an intimate relationship.
- Second Saturday Divorce Workshop was designed to support women as they consider divorce, no matter where they are in the process. Information about the legal, financial, and emotional issues of divorce is presented in a logical, yet compassionate way.
- Discover what habits to do and avoid in a relationship.
- Understand the barriers to intimacy created by the "Myth of Romantic Love".
Videos of the Month
Listening to Shame | Brene' Brown
The Three Scariest Words a Boy Can Hear | Joe Ehrmann
Resilience now | Joan Borseynko
Cultivating resilience | Greg Eells
Career Counseling Testing Resources
Explore your Career Quality World through these resources:
- Holland Self-Directed Search
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator
- Values Inventory
- Strongs Interest Inventory
- and many more
Contact Tom Payton to get started!
- A healthier way of relating to yourself — take this simple test and see how.