Want to learn from home? You’re in the right place to learn how and to discover if online learning is right for you! Visit Continuing Education Courses Online to view our continuing education offerings.
To access your online courses, login to your MyELearn account on:
Southern State uses MyELearn (Canvas) to offer online courses. Students enrolled in an online course log on to their MyELearn virtual classroom several times a week to communicate with their instructor and classmates, obtain course materials, participate in a variety of learning activities and submit assignments or take tests.
Is Online Learning for You?
You should consider the following questions before deciding to take online courses.
Do I have the time?
An online course worth three credit hours requires an average time commitment of nine to 12 hours a week. Many students report that online courses take more time than classroom courses.
Do I have the skills?
Online learning requires self-discipline, focus and the ability to prioritize your own workload. You should be able to learn from reading as well as follow written instructions.
Do I have the computer skills?
In order to succeed in an online course, you should have good keyboarding skills, know how to create, save and manage files, be familiar with file extensions, know how to use attachments and upload/download files, be able to run any computer application required for the course, be able to install software and be comfortable using a web browser.
Do I have the minimum computer requirements?
Check the Canvas (MyELearn) Technical Information to make sure you have the required platform technologies. You will also need the following minimum requirements:
- Reliable internet service provider (dial-up connection will work but DSL or cable is preferred)
- Reputable anti-virus program (be sure to regularly update your anti-virus program and visit Microsoft Windows Update to be sure you have the latest protection against viruses)
Some MyELearn courses use browser plugins. To view portions of these sites, you may need one or more of the following plugins (browsers will generally automatically download any plugin required by a particular page):
- Adobe Reader – view, navigate and print Adobe PDF files across all major computing platforms
- Flash – view interactive quizzes, animations and activities
- Java plug-in – run applications and applets that use Java technology
- QuickTime – view videos
- Real Player – play video and audio files
- Shockwave – view interactive quizzes, animations and activities
- Windows Media Player – play video and audio files
Are you ready for Online Classes?
Online instructors may require students to have access to specific programs or other resources and may also require the student to complete an orientation at the beginning of the semester. Find out what your instructor requires at:
Online instructors expect students to have required textbooks in hand on the first day of the semester. Textbooks for online courses are only available at the Central Campus Bookstore or the Online Bookstore If ordered online you can choose "store pick-up" or "ship to residence or business." If you are ordering from the Online Hillsboro store and requesting store pick-up, you will be prompted to choose on which campus you will be picking up your books.
Contact the Bookstore for more information on obtaining textbooks.
The Tutoring Center is offering some upcoming workshops to help you with your online courses!
Success in the Digital Age
Taking your first online course? The Tutoring Center has a workshop for that! The Success in the Digital Age Workshop is designed to help students get familiar with the online course platform, submit assignments online, take online tests and quizzes, and post to discussion boards.
Fall 2019 Success in the Digital Age CRDW 0099
- CRDW 0099 C01 & C02 | Mon, August 5 | Central Campus, Rm. 101 | 9am - 12pm & 1 - 4pm
- CRDW 0099 N01 | Tues, August 6 | North Campus, Rm. 211 | 1 - 4pm
- CRDW 0099 W01 | Wed, August 7 | Fayette Campus, Rm. 125 | 9am - 12pm
- CRDW 0099 S01 & S02 | Thurs, August 8 | Brown Campus, Rm. 207 | 9am - 12pm & 1 - 4pm
Contact the Tutoring Center at 937.393.3431 x2825 or x2882 for more information.