The Career Services department coordinates employment services for Southern State. We offer students and alumni assistance in clarifying career goals and acquiring job search skills. We also assist employers with various objectives including recruitment.
- Tom Payton
- Coordinator, Career & Counseling Services
- 800.628.7722 x2713 (Office)
- 740.505.1123 (Cell)
View all Career Services Staff
Flexible times available upon request. Career counseling hours available via appointment. Contact any Campus Location or ext. 2825 to schedule your appointment.
How We Can Help
Potential & Current Students – From the beginning of your college experience, through graduation and beyond, Career Services is here to help you follow your bliss! We are here to help you learn about careers and occupations to plan your education accordingly with your desired career path. We also provide one-on-one job search assistance, resume and cover letter writing techniques, interview preparation, coaching and debriefing, and networking tips and how-to's. One-on-one Career Choice Resources include:
- Holland Career Types
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator
- Values Inventory
- Career Coach
- My Career Story
- And many more
Students & Alumni – Career development does not end when you start the job but is a lifelong process. As a service free of charge, Career Services can help current students and alumni learn about: resumes, adding value to your job and tracking the results, career check-ups, dealing with on the job stress, and career coaching.
Need help choosing a career path? SSCC's Career Coach Assessment can guide you to potential career opportunities within your major, or browse through a list of Programs & Careers offered by Southern State.
This site provides a list of In-Demand Careers in Ohio's economy today!
Job & Career Accelerator from LearningExpress allows you to assess suitable careers based on your interests, explore occupation profiles, find jobs and internships and prepare professional resumes and cover letters.
This service, sponsored by the NACE, allows you to research employers, search for job information, check the salary of job positions and much more.
This service of the U.S. Department of Labor provides an excellent job search service.
Want to know what occupations have the most annual openings? How much do they pay? How many workers are unemployed? Find out here!
The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
This services allows you to check wages by occupation.
This site provides wage data on a national, state, metropolitan and regional basis.
This map shows Ohio's unemployment rates by county.
This map shows Kentucky's unemployment rates by county.
Looking for a job? View the Job Board to see local job openings. Jobs are posted as they become available so check back often!
Use the Position Posting Request Form to post a job opening online and on each of Southern State’s campuses. You can submit the form electronically, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 937.393.6682.
David Brooks: Should you live for your résumé ... or your eulogy?
Career or calling? This is certainly an important question for all choosing a career but especially those from ages 35 and after. Career expert Mark Savickas describes career as mattering: what really matters and how we will matter. New York Times columnist and author David Brooks talks about the difference between résumé virtues and eulogy virtues, important considerations in choosing your career.
There are a few things you should know before attending a job fair. Use this guide to better prepare:
Job Fairs Coming soon!
Job Search Resources & Tools
Find assistance and get advice on various topics of job search through these resources.
Chamber of Commerce – Local Service Area
- Chamber of Commerce – Adams County
- Chamber of Commerce – Brown County
- Chamber of Commerce – Fayette County
- Chamber of Commerce – Highland County
- Chamber of Commerce – Wilmington Clinton County
Job Search Sites
- Advance for Health Care Jobs
- Ag Careers
- Career Builder
- Careers In Food
- College Grad Job Hunter
- Crimical Justice Profiles – Career Guide
- Deep Sweep – Non-profit Jobs
- Environmental Career Center
- Environmental Jobs
- Green Engineering Jobs
- Higher Ed Jobs
- IM Diversity – Minority Career Needs
- Ohio Means Jobs
- Pharmacy Tech Jobs & Practice Exam
- American Association of Medical Assistants
- American Association of Respiratory Care
- American Counseling Association
- American Mathematical Society
- Association for Computing Machinery – Jobs, Career, Salaries
- Association of Addicition Professionals
- Association of Finance Professionals – Jobs, Career, Salaries
- Association of Professional Landscape Designers
- Chamber of Commerce (KY)
- Chamber of Commerce (OH)
- Chamber of Commerce (US)
- National Career Development Association
- Ohio Center for Nursing
- Ohio Manufacturer's Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
Video – Coping with Job Search Stressors
Video – Interviews
- Interview Example – "Tell me about yourself."
- Part 1 – The Interview Strategy – What is an employer looking for?
- Part 2 – How to Answer Interview Questions
- Part 3 – Interview Preparation – Five Essential Steps
- Part 5 – Questions YOU Should Ask
Video – Job Search
- AARP – Age Discimination at Work
- AARP Job and Career Resources
- Co-Op America's National Green Pages (Resources on Green Companies)
- Hoover's On Line – Business Almanac
- Job-Hunt (Resources, Jobs, Helpful Articles)
- Riley Guide to Employment
- Salary Checker
- Sustainable Industries – Newsletter for Green Business Leaders
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Wall Street Journal – Careers
- What Color is Your Parachute
OhioMeansJobs offers you a fun and easy way to practice and fine tune your interview skills. Whether you're new to the job market or an experienced professional, we can help you land the right job with a powerful combination of video tutorials and virtual interview practice.
When you know about your personality and interests and have an idea about careers that you might want to pursue, it is a good idea to learn about various occupations and their educational requirements and future prospects. The Explore Your Options Brochure will provide resources that will get you started.
- Jobscan.co - Résumé Optimization
- myperfectresume.com - Résumé Builder
Use myperfectresume.com to begin setting up your resume prior to your appointment with Career Services. The career counselor will review, modify, and train you in the proper use of the résumé. Additionally he will create a format that can be read by online software called Applicant Tracking Systems. Call 937.393.3431, X 2825 for an appointment.
Résumés are kept on file or employers looking for prospective employees.
If you’re a local employer, Southern State wants to CONNECT with you! We offer various associate and certificate programs in areas ranging from pre-baccalaureate, nursing, business and technology as well as many training opportunities. We also provide job posting opportunities, annual job fairs, on-site interviews and recruiting, employer assistance to meet your needs interfacing with Workforce Development.
Position Posting Request Form
Use the position posting request form to post a job opening on the Job Board online and on each of Southern State’s campuses. You can submit the form electronically, email it to email@example.com or fax it to 937.393.6682.
Recruiting & Other Services
To participate in the annual spring Southern State Job Fair, post an upcoming job fair, interview and recruit on campus, request a speaker regarding career/professional development or for any other assistance, please contact Tom Payton.
The Employment Guide to Questioning Applicants is a publication of the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and is a quick and easy guide illustrating questions that are and are not permissible during an interview. This is an excellent training handout for people involved in the selection process.