Interested in working on campus for some extra cash? The Federal Work Study Program gives students an opportunity to work part-time on campus and gain work experience at the same time. Students can earn extra money by working 8 to 15 hours a week in such areas as Student Services, Student Activities, the Library, lab assisting or at the Early Child Development Center, In order to be eligible, interested students must have a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with Southern State and be eligible for need-based federal aid (Federal Pell grant and/or Subsidized Direct Student Loans), be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours a semester, and meet the College's satisfactory academic progress criteria. No prior work experience is required. A background check will be performed on applicants prior to placement in a position.
Currently, the following positions are open (Training is provided by each department):
1. Admissions Office:
- Job Title: Student Ambassador
- Job duties: conducting guided campus tours, assisting Admissions staff with office functions, answering phones
- Requirements: friendly attitude, able to work independently, interest in working with the public
2. Financial Aid Office:
- Job Title: Office Assistant
- Job duties: answering phones, handling mail (open, identify, scanning and filing) and working with staff on special projects.
- Requirements: able to maintain confidentiality of student records, good reading skills and basic math, able to work independently, dependable work ethic.
3. YMCA Parti-Tots Learning Center (Hillsboro Campus)
- Job Title: Teacher Assistant
- Job Duties: Assist in care for children 18 months to 6 years of age. Play with children to develop skills for kindergarten readiness, clean classrooms, help with snack and meal times, and demonstrate the significance of being a role model for children in the center.
- Placement requirements will include: FBI/BCI Background check, medical information, Y In-services for new Staff/Volunteer
4. SSCC Communications Office
- Job Title: Welcome Center Student Ambassador
- Job Duties: Welcome students and visitors that come to campus and serve as source of information; assist with basic office functions such as assembling mailings, folding brochures while overseeing the appearance of the front desk and lobby area.
- Requirements: friendly demeanor, enjoys helping others, can initiate conversation, good organization skills
5. Hillsboro Campus Administrative Offices (including President's Office)
- Job Title: Receptionist
- Job Duties: Welcome and direct students and guests, provide miscellaneous office support to the President's Office, the V.P for Academic Affairs Office and the Business Office
- Job Requirements: excellent interpersonal skills, good reading skills, self-motivated and can work independently
6. Health Sciences Department
- Job Title: Lab and Office Assistant
- Job Duties: maintain mannequins, simulators and labs in clean, operational state, inventory and assist in ordering lab equipment and supplies, prepare paperwork necessary for lab sessions, perform general office duties.
- Job Requirements: Excellent organizational skills, ability to work independently, good interpersonal communication skills, ability to lift, move, push/pull mannequins, simulators and other equipment. Some medical background helpful.
7. Mt. Orab Campus Director's Office
- Job Title: Front Desk Receptionist
- Job Duties: Greet students and visitors, answer telephone, take messages, maintain appointment schedule, and assist with campus events.
- Job Requirements: Excellent interpersonal skills, good attention to detail, self-motivate to take initiative, ability to work under pressure, comply with confidentiality restrictions, knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs.
8. Career and Counseling Services
- Job Title: Career and Counseling Services Assistance (Position begins October 1)
- Job Duties: Assist with gathering and summary of data for Building Resilience Project, staff table in common areas for prompting and capturing data from students as well as prompting new student assistance app, report generation and data entry.
- Job Requirements: ability to work independently, professional behavior and dress, comply with confidentiality restrictions, proficient with MS Word and basic Excel.
9. Advising Center
- Job Title: Office Assistant
- Job Duties: Answer Phones, maintain files/records, greet student, schedule appointments, & enter data.
- Job Requirements: Customer service skills, organizational skills, professional demeanor, & attention to detail.
To apply for one of these positions, complete the Work Study Application and submit to the Financial Aid Office. The Work Study Coordinator will review your application, determine if you are eligible for federal work study funds and assist you in setting up an interview with the hiring department.
The rate of pay is $9.00 for most positions and student workers are paid on the 15th and last business day of each month.
NOTE: A background check will be performed on applicants prior to placement in a position.