Offered on: Fayette Campus, Monday through Thursday, 6:00 - 10:00 pm and every Saturday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, during the scheduled nine month Academy.
The Basic Peace Officer Training Academy can be taken alone or as part of the Law Enforcement program in the Criminal Justice Pathway. The program provides students with the fundamentals of entry-level peace officer training for employment as a law enforcement officer.
Ready to apply? Follow these steps!
- Step 1 – Complete an Enrollment Packet
- Download, print and complete the enrollment packet documents. Bring the completed enrollment packet documents with you to your scheduled pre-assessment to give to the Academy Commander.
- Note: The enrollment packet currently available is for reference only. Do not complete and submit it. The valid enrollment packet for the next scheduled Basic Peace Officer Training Academy will be available when the dates are determined.
- Enrollment Packet (Reference Only)
- Step 2 – Have a Background Check
- The program requires all applicants to complete a background check before being considered for enrollment.
- Step 3 – Schedule Pre-Assessment
- At the pre-assessment, the student will take a physical fitness assessment and submit his/her completed enrollment packet. The pre-assessment dates for the upcoming academy are listed in the enrollment packet.
- Step 4 – Apply for Admission to Southern State (if you are already a SSCC student, skip this step)
- Online Print Form
For more information about enrolling at Southern State, visit Apply for Admission.
Students may also apply for financial aid which is available to those who qualify. For more information, visit Apply for Financial Aid.
The Basic Peace Officer Training Academy consists of two courses CJUS 1102 and CJUS 1103 which are 16 college credit hours. These courses are delivered in two, 8 credit hour (this is considered part-time) semesters.
There is a tuition fee of $1,367 per semester. There is an additional cost for firearm/ammunition/ equipment and the estimated cost is $2,500. (Please note: The current ammo market continues to be unstable. Availability of ammo has been rated “difficult” since 2012. Prices have fluctuated in a seven-day period as much as 40%.)
Please complete and submit this form and we will get back with you as soon as we can!