Offered on: Brown County Campus (Day)
Nature of Profession
The Licensed practical nurse (LPN) provides patient care due to illness or desire to maintain health. The LPN scope of practice is defined by the Ohio Nurse Practice Act. The LPN provides care at the direction of a licensed physician, dentist, podiatrist, optometrist, chiropractor, or registered nurse. The majority of LPNs work is in long-term care and community organizations.
To view current Job Postings related to the Practical Nursing Program visit:
Careers in Practical Nursing:
This information is provided by ONetOnline.org
The program is designed to be completed in three semesters and combines lecture classes, lab practice and clinical experience designed to prepare the graduate to be eligible to complete the licensure examination (NCLEX-PN) to become a licensed practical nurse. Continuation in the nursing program requires a minimum grade of "C" in all Nursing courses and a minimum grade of "C" in all other required courses including prerequisites. Students must have the ability to fulfill the essential technical standards defined in the Technical Standards Policy.
Graduates of this program should be able to:
- Engage in professional nursing practice that is holistic and patient-centered while culturally appropriate to individuals, families, and communities.
- Practice professional nursing that includes the acceptance of leadership responsibility and incorporates personal responsibility and accountability for continued competence.
- Deliver nursing care utilizing documented best practices.
- Integrate principles of quality improvement and safety into nursing practice.
- Utilize patient care technology for the delivery of patient care and management of information.
- Work collaboratively with individuals, significant support person(s), and members of the healthcare team utilizing effective professional communication.
- Recognize the role of the nurse within the context of the larger health care system.
Individuals interested in the Practical Nursing program will follow the:
Note: A past felony or misdemeanor conviction may disqualify you from completing the clinical requirements of the Nursing Program or taking the State Licensure Exam. The Ohio Board of Nursing also provides information in the "Criminal History Fact Sheet".
Hopefully these frequently asked questions will help you find the information you need! If you have additional questions, please contact Meg Storrs.
View the Frequently Asked Questions
Upon completion of the program, the student will be eligible to apply for the Practical Nursing Certificate and would also qualify to sit for the NCLEX-PN.
Technology requirements for Nursing program: Desktop, laptop, or tablet running Windows 8.1 or later or Mac OSX 10.8 or later. Not all required software/online resources will work with Android or iOS. High speed internet must be accessible.
E-books will be utilized in program. Program package includes all texts (e-books) for the entire Nursing program at a reduced cost and provides updated versions as available.
|Anatomy and Physiology I
|Anatomy and Physiology I Lab
|Allied Health Mathematics
|Practical Nursing Concepts I
|Anatomy and Physiology II
|Anatomy and Physiology II Lab
|Practical Nursing Concepts II
|English Composition I
|Practical Nursing Concepts III
Program Total: 35
Non-nursing courses may be completed prior to entering the program, however the credit hours per semester will be less while in the program and may affect the amount of Financial Aid you receive each term.
|Licensure Pass Rate
(First-time test-takers for NCLEX-RN)
(Number of students who complete the program in no more than 100% of the stated program length beginning with enrollment in the first nursing course)
|Job Placement Rate
(Percentage of graduates, six (6) to twelve (12) months after graduating)
The Nursing Office is located in room 328 on Central Campus and operates from 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.
- 800.628.7722 x2640
- Nursing Office
- Southern State Community College
- 100 Hobart Drive
- Hillsboro, OH 45133