Membership is by invitation. To be eligible for membership for Phi Theta Kappa at South State Community College you must:
- Complete at least 12 semester credit hours of coursework that may be applied to an associate degree (part-time students are eligible!)
- Have a grade point average of 3.5
- Adhere to the standards of the society
If you meet the criteria above you will be sent an email during spring term inviting you to join Phi Theta Kappa. You must accept membership before the set deadline or wait until the next enrollment period.
Phi Theta Kappa offers a lot of benefits for students:
- Members of Phi Theta Kappa may apply for more than $37 million in transfer scholarships through PTK Connect, provided exclusively to Society members by more than 600 senior institutions.
- FREE enrollment in The Transfer Database, used by hundreds of senior colleges and universities to recruit Phi Theta Kappa transfer students.
- Eligible for Southern State Community College transition student scholarships and Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships.
- All USA Academic Team.
- Congratulations to Brock Morris and Christian Weseloh for being selected as a 2020 Coca-Cola Leaders of Promise Scholar! This scholarship is designed to provide new Phi Theta Kappa members with financial resources to help defray educational expenses while enrolled in a two-year college while also encouraging participation in Society programs.
Recognition & Graduation
- All members of Phi Theta Kappa receive the prestigious Golden Key Membership Pin, Certificate of Membership, wallet-size Identification Card.
- Members of Phi Theta Kappa may affix the Society’s Gold Diploma Seal, denoting Society membership, to their two-year college diploma.
- Members of Phi Theta Kappa may have their membership in the international honor society noted on their transcript, contingent on their college’s policy.
- Members of Phi Theta Kappa may wear the Society’s golden monogrammed Honors Stole and Tassel at college commencement exercises (Purchase Here).
- Letter of recommendation sent to a college admissions counselor or scholarship official.
- Letter of recommendation sent to a potential employer.
- Members may connect to find cutting-edge services, programs and resources selected especially to meet their needs. The benefits, available to members free of charge, include special offers from Phi Theta Kappa partners and a press release announcing your membership sent electronically to a newspaper of your choice.
- The Certificate of Membership and Membership Identification Card are included in your Benefit Packet or presented at your Induction Ceremony. If you were unable to attend your Induction Ceremony, contact your chapter advisor to receive your Membership Certificate and Identification Card. If you have further questions about your Membership Benefits, contact Membership Services, 601.984.3504 x3554.
- Civil Service Jobs Benefit Members applying for GS5 federal jobs and who completed a baccalaureate degree with superior academic achievement, as defined by the Federal Office of Personnel Management, would be upgraded to a GS7 classification, meaning an increase in starting salary over the GS5 grade. GS5 federal jobs are entry-level jobs requiring completion of a baccalaureate degree or four years of study beyond high school.